Friday, September 4, 2009
And the twain shall meet
Don was bought up in a household where rotis were an occasional treat.It was almost always served with potato masala or dal.He was bought up to believe that potato and dal were the only accompaniments to roti.
The belief was fine as long as you were having the combo once a month, but today rotis/phulkas are what we have for dinner every day.And how many days can you have potatoes or dal.
It was tough to introduce him to other vegetables as accompaniment to phulkas but 5 years is long enough to train his taste buds and change his mind. But one veg he just would refuse to have with phulka was Bhindi/Ladys Finger/Okra/Vendakka. No preparation would convince him until I served him this and well what more can I say, this lady's finger finally worked the magic. The list of ingredients looks long but the dish is really simple, try it yourself:
Bhindi Masala (Feeds 2-3)
1. Ladys Finger - 250 gms
2. Onions - 3 Large - Chopped Fine
3. Tomato - 1 Large - Chopped Fine
4. Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1/2 tsp
5. Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
6. Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
7. Coriander Powder - 1 tbsp
8. Kitchen King Masala Powder - 2tsp
9. Jeera Powder - 1/2 tsp
10. Oil - 1+1 Tbsp
11. Salt to taste
12. Water - 1/2 Cup
To soak for 30 min and grind to a fine paste:
13. Fresh Curd - 2 tbsp
14. Green Cardamom - 2 nos
15. Cashew Nuts - 8-10 nos
16. Khus-Khus/Poppy Seeds - 1Tbsp
17. Coriander Leaves - 1-2 tbsp Chopped
1. Wash the Lady's Finger and cut into 2"pieces.
2. Heat a Non-Stick pan, spread 1 tbsp oil on it, put in the cut pieces and let it
cook till well done.
3. Heat the rest of oil in another kadai(pan).Add the chopped onions and saute till
4. Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for 2-3 more mins
5. Add all the masala powders and the tomato and fry till masalas are well cooked.
6. Add the ground paste and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to boil.
7. Add the fried Ladys Finger and cook till the gravy is thick.
8. Garnish with cut coriander leaves.
Preparation Time :15 min
Cooking time : 25 min